For more detailed information on state financial aid programs contact:

Wyoming Community College Commission
2020 Carey Ave., 8th Floor
Cheyenne, WY  82002
Telephone: (307) 777-7763
FAX:  (307) 777-6567

The following are financial aid programs available to students who are residents of the state of Wyoming.


Robert C. Byrd Scholarship

The Robert C. Byrd Honors Scholarship Program is a federally funded program to promote student excellence and achievement and to recognize exceptionally able graduating seniors who show promise of continued excellence. Thirteen scholarships are awarded in Wyoming each year. These $1,500.00 scholarships are awarded on the basis of merit for the first year of study at an institution of higher education and are renewable up to a total of four years.

Applications are mailed to all high school counselors in early spring. Individual applications are not available from the Wyoming Department of Education.


Wyoming Hathaway Scholarship Program

The state of Wyoming established a generous scholarship program in the name of former Wyoming Governor Stan Hathaway that rewards eligible Wyoming students with scholarship money to attend one of Wyoming’s community colleges or the University of Wyoming.

The program provides merit- and need-based awards to eligible students. Merit Awards between $800 and $1600 per semester are available to high school graduates and others who are Wyoming residents and meet certain academic requirements. Need Awards above and beyond the Merit Awards are available to those with unmet financial need as determined by your Financial Aid application (FAFSA),

The first eligible students will be from the high school graduating class of 2006, those who completed a home-based educational program or those who completed a GED after April 1, 2006 .

Contact the community college of your choice for further detail on these exciting new scholarships, including eligibility requirements, award levels, application processes, and frequently asked questions.

Teacher Shortage Loan Repayment Program

The Wyoming Teacher Shortage Loan Repayment Program (TSLRP) was adopted by the 2005 Wyoming legislature. The goal of the program is to provide loans to students who will stay in Wyoming after graduation and work as teachers.

The legislature provided funds to be used for students who are at least juniors at the University of Wyoming in the teacher education program leading to certification in special education, mathematics or science. The funds are to assist with educational expenses as determined by the University of Wyoming Office of Student Financial Aid. Completion of the FAFSA (Free

Application for Federal Student Aid) is necessary for consideration for the Wyoming Teacher Shortage Loan Program.

What should you do to be considered for a TSLRP loan?

The most important steps to take are these:

Wyoming Teacher Education Contact Information:

University of Wyoming
College of Education
Dept. 3374
1000 E University Avenue
Laramie, WY 82071-3374   307-766-3275(Secondary Education)

307-766-6325(Special Education)
307-766-3800(Student Financial Aid)


Wyoming Investment in Nursing

The Wyoming Investment in Nursing (WYIN) program was funded by the 2003 Wyoming legislature. The funds are for students who are accepted into nursing programs at the University of Wyoming or one of the six Wyoming community colleges. The funds are to assist with educational expenses as determined by the financial aid office at each academic institution. The need for financial assistance through WYIN is based on a student applying for federal financial aid by completing the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid.

If you are interested in being considered for a WYIN loan, the first requirement is to be accepted into the nursing program offered by one of these schools:

The most important steps to take are these:

1. Contact the nursing director at the Wyoming institution you want to attend and discuss your plans.
2. Begin the process of applying for federal financial aid as soon as possible.
3. Consider taking the general education courses needed for a nursing program. Discuss this with the nursing director at the school.

Almost all of these general education courses can be taken through distance education.

Nursing program Contact Information

Casper College
125 College Dr.
Casper, WY 82601

Central Wyoming College
2660 Peck Ave.
Riverton, WY 82501
(Available at both Riverton & Jackson)

Laramie County Community College
1400 E. College Dr.
Cheyenne, WY 82007

Northwest College
231 W. 6th St.
Powell, WY 82435

Sheridan College
3059 Coffeen
PO Box 1500
Sheridan, WY 82801
307-674-6446, ext. 6150
(Available at both Gillette & Sheridan)      

University of Wyoming
PO Box 3065
Laramie, WY 82071-3065

Western Wyoming Comm. College
2500 College Dr.
Rock Springs, WY 82901

State Financial Aid Information

Find state financial aid information for the specific state that you live in. Find contact information for your local federal aid office, and get details about specific federal aid programs in your area.